Efforts to search for land and establish a Muslim owned cemetery started around the year 1994-1995 due to following reasons:
- Hayward cemetery’s portion for Muslims was getting full.
- Its cost was getting too steep for an average Muslim family.
- In addition to the grief of loosing their loved ones, they have to bear the stress of enormous financial burden.
We looked at several locations including Sunol, Grant Line road, Livermore and other areas. We finally chose the Livermore site and purchase the land in 1996, because of its easy access to the Highways.
Getting approval for a Use Permit for the Cemetery was tough process.
Finally after satisfying the various conditions of Federal & State Regulating Agencies, a Conditional Use Permit was issued on December 18,1996 by the Alameda County Planning Department for a 5 acres cemetery at 1761 Laughlin Road, Livermore, CA 94551.
Since non of has any experience at running a cemetery, the original plan the North side of the cemetery proved not to be very practical.
So a new plan was implement on the South Side of the cemetery:
- Not selling the gravesite in advance, it is sold as the need arise.
- By hiring Gravesite Engineering Companies, who build Veterans Cemeteries.
- By designing walking spaces for easy access to the graves.
- By implementing the policies & procedures which clarifying what is allowed and what are the restrictions. (See rules & Regulations)
Alhamdulilah, Now the cemetery is uniform, neater and more potential.